Benjamin Andersen Garbe
09/16/2014, 8 lbs, 21 inches
I went in for my 39 1/2 week appointment on Monday the 15th to re-check my blood pressure. The week before it had been in the high 150s, but I didn't have any signs and symptoms of preeclampsia or other complications. Just in case, Dave and I got as much ready as possible over the weekend and "assumed" a Monday baby arrival. Truthfully, I think we both figured my blood pressure would be back to normal and I'd see my physician at my 40 week appointment on the 18th. I was really hoping Ben would arrive naturally sometime during the week prior to my 40 week appointment.
Sunday night I started having a lot of pressure in my abdomen, but I assumed they were Braxton Hicks contractions. It did cross my mind that I may be in early labor because the pressure was so intense, but I decided that it would be best to get a full night's sleep. If the contractions started to get worse, I figured they would wake me up. They really didn't feel anything like what I've read contractions should feel like, so I wasn't too concerned/excited.
On Monday, I was still feeling a lot of pressure. At work, it started to get more and more uncomfortable, but I knew I would see an OB in a few hours so I decided to wait to ask her if I should be paying a little closer attention to how I was feeling. ;) At the appointment, my blood pressure was in the 140s --- still high, but not as alarming. Again, all other tests for preeclampsia were negative. My OB was out of town that day --- so I saw another OB who was really wonderful --- and she suggested I do a fetal stress test and an ultrasound just to rule out any other reasons why my blood pressure would be elevated. Ben passed the fetal stress test with flying colors (he moved a ton --- as he did throughout my entire pregnancy!), but the ultrasound showed really low fluid levels and the OB said I needed to be induced ASAP. It was noon and she asked if I could go to the birthcare center right then and there ---- I think the look of
Before leaving the clinic, the OB also cautioned me that I would likely have to have a c-section. Actually, she said that she was very confident a "trial of labor" would fail. The doctor on-call at the birthcare center, though, wanted to try to avoid a c-section if possible. I'm glad the OB mentioned this to me beforehand --- I was able to prepare myself mentally for this possibility during labor when things were not progressing.
When we got to the hospital, things were going really well. As it turns out, I WAS having contractions every 2 -3 minutes apart, they just didn't feel like radiating pain, just pressure. The nurse drew more bloodwork to continue to rule out preeclampsia and I was hooked up to fetal monitors and an IV of pitocin. I have to say, I really enjoyed this time spent with Dave in early labor --- we were so excited (and nervous) and the room was so peaceful. After some time, I took a whirlpool bath ---- I would HIGHLY recommend this --- that took all of my pain away. I was only able to stand the heat for a short period of time, though. When I got out of the tub, Ben's heart rate was dropping and I had to get back in bed to lie down to more closely monitor how things were going. I was slightly concerned about this, but also the contractions were starting to get more intense and it was hard to think about anything else.
I labored for several hours before our active Ben kicked me really hard during a contraction and broke my water (thanks, buddy!). Prior to my water breaking I really felt like wonder woman --- I could handle the pain! Woo! But after? Forget it. I got to a point where I thought to myself "okay, 4 more contractions and ask for the epidural". I got through 4 more, told Dave and the nurse I wanted the epidural and waited for the anesthesiologist to arrive (from home. bless that man.). All I can say is epidurals are a magical. I tried to get as much sleep as possible at this point. Every time I would get checked, it would be disappointing --- I was hardly progressing at all. Ben's heart rate continued to be great in general, but he had a few drops here and there. I remember the nurse saying she'd call the doctor if it happened one more time. I think at that point, I knew I'd have a c-section and that I had to be okay with it. After 16 hours of labor, the on-call doctor asked me if I wanted to move forward with the c-section and I said "yes!". I was ready, and I think Ben was ready.
The c-section went really well. Thank God for Dave --- I don't remember what he said or if he said anything at all, but just being able to hold his hand during the surgery made everything easier. He was really my rock throughout the entire labor and surgery. When Ben was born and I could hear him crying, I was so happy and relieved. I could have cared less what happened after that. Dave was able to go over and see Ben while they cleaned him up and then they were able to bring him over to me. Ben was born September 16th at 5:56 AM weighing 8 lbs and measuring 21 inches long.
Rocking the hipster glasses during surgery
Dave and Ben went to the recovery room while I was stitched up. When I got to the recovery room, the nurses said that Ben was having a really hard time "transitioning". Usually, when a baby is born, the fluid in his chest is squeezed out ---- harder to do during a c-section, and Ben was really struggling. It was a flurry of activity --- there was a high-risk birth that one of the flight nurses kept having to answer her cell phone to coordinate while in that room, and there were so many people running around that I couldn't quite figure out what was going on. They told us he'd have to go up to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), and I really wanted Dave to go with him. I had been pretty adamant about that when we talked about potential complications during a birth class we took together --- if for whatever reason I couldn't be with Ben, I really wanted Dave to be there.
I don't know if it was maternal instinct, the fact that I work at St. Luke's and had full faith in their NICU, or the morphine --- but I really felt 100% like Ben was going to be okay, even though he was up in the NICU. I think Dave had a better understanding of how serious things were (they should dole out some morphine for the dads, amiright?) --- but, fortunately, his breathing got better after a couple of hours and they were able to discharge Ben. I remember they wheeled him into our birthcare room and I was so, so happy to see him.
We didn't create a "birth plan" and I'm glad we didn't. This was certainly not the experience we were expecting, but I am so thankful that Ben is a healthy baby. It feels like he was always meant to be here --- like this particular person was always going to be part of our lives. It's a great feeling!
*written the week after his birth for us to look back on someday! If you made it through the whole story, I probably owe you a pistachio chocolate chip cookie. ;)

















1 comment:
So fun to relive the event through your post and also so greatful to be there! I remember the breaking of the water, your reaction was priceless. We all sort of knew there was no turning back after that. Going up to the NICU with Dave to see and touch Ben was such a wonderful moment and how proud and excited Dave was to show him off. Then holding little Ben for the first time and his little cries and how much he moved around will always be cherished. So proud of you all and can't wait for the next one... ;-)
Post a Comment